Sunday, June 22, 2014

Book Review: The One and Only


Emily Giffin is one of my favorite authors. When she comes out with a new book, I can't read it fast enough!

The One & Only was OK. Honestly, when I finished it really just made me want to go back and re-read Something Borrowed and Something Blue (my faves of hers). I just couldn't get past the weirdness of the father - daughter like relationship Shea and Coach started out with, turning into a relationship. I also didn't think that Shea and Lucy's relationship was as strong as Emily has written in the past. It was kind of a Rachel/Darcy feel of a friendship (polar opposite, long time friends), but less believable. Amazon's description of the book states: Shea’s comfortable world is upended, and she begins to wonder if the life she’s chosen is really enough for her. As she finally gives up her safety net to set out on an unexpected path, Shea discovers unsettling truths about the people and things she has always trusted most—and is forced to confront her deepest desires, fears, and secrets. 

I would qualify falling in love with your best friend's dad as "upending" but the "unsettling truths" part was a bit of a stretch. What happened between her and Ryan was predictable, and when she had strife with Coach, it seemed weak and misplaced. I didn't hate the book....just not my fave! 
What I did like about the book was that it was based in Texas, so it seemed very familiar every time she would talk about going somewhere. Also, the football. For a "girly" book....it talked quite a bit about football, which was awesome! (71 Days until OU Football starts!!) Best part of the book: the fictional team despised the Longhorns!! It made me smile every. single. time.

I'm now reading Dark Places by Gillian Flynn, and will let you know what I think!!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...